- Most of the "REVIEW" is assembled from known material deemed suitable for promoting education in science. The purpose is to arrange a more comprehensive view for lay-person. Therefore, it is not appropriate to associate my name with the website - it is the collective work of countless individuals. There is absolutely no monetary gain from running this site. I pay the subscription fee yearly to the ISP out of my own pocket.
- The author of this website.
- I am a physicist in retirement.
- Citation for this website.
- There is no need to acknowledge for the use of materials in this website. However, if it is absolutely necessary, it can be cited as:
Review of the Universe, [topic], [sub-topic] in website: universe-review.ca
- This website was created on October, 2002. Since then many theories, hypotheses, models, suggestions, ... had been shown to be invalid by observations or experiments. Sometimes there is error in the data. Nevertheless, I have kept such incidents intact to illustrate the path of scientific development. For those readers who want to find out the current status of certain subject, the information may be found as update appended at the end of each subject.
- The webpage will be updated either when something attracts my attention or more information is available.
- An update log is maintained to keep track of all the updates since March, 2008.
- Filename Convention.
- The filename is case sensitive.
- The suffix for the web file is htm (NOT html).
- The prefix for main topic web files start with "F", it's "R" for web files in the Special Topics, and "I" for all the image files.
- Image copyright.
- There is no problem for copying images from this site. However, many of them are taken from books, journals, magazines, and the internet. Even though some of them have been modified, it is advisable to obtain permission from the original owner especially when it is not for nonprofit purpose.
- The author regret very much for neglecting to acknowledge photo credit to its source. The problem will be gradually rectified in the "Index, Illustration, Reference, and Photo Credit" page. Blank entry indicates untraceable origin while the symbol "---" signifies original drawing or extensively edited item. The "TBP" means the source will be identified later. Communication on error or omission is most welcome.
- Find an image.
The most direct way:
- Select "Illustration" on the taskbar at the top of each topic page.
- Select image name by following the alphabetical order.
- Or use the "Find" option in the "Edit" tab on the menu bar of the browser to locate the image name.
- Find a subject.
- Go to the "Index, Illustration, Reference, and Photo Credit" page at the end of the main menu.
- Do a Google, or IE, or ... search.
- There are two index pages, you have to flip-flop between them to exhaust the search.
- Use the back button provided by the browser to avoid webpage stacking.
- Image NOT FOUND.
Error may be caused by:
- Using older copy of the webpage (stored in the temporary internet files folder), where the coded image is no longer supported. Run "refresh" (the tab with 2 arrows) or delete the "temporary internet files" to get a new copy of the webpage.
- Filename starts with small letter instead of capital letter, e.g., "i" instead of "I".
- Typo, e.g., entering "." instead of "-" etc. Contact the website if none of the above is applicable.
- Image size.
- The size of many images have been reduced to make them proportional to the page size. Hit the "[view large image]" tab or just click on the image to see the details. It is non-clickable for image that has the optimal size already.
- Alternatively, the image can be viewed via the "Illustration" tab, where it is always presented in full size. The image always links to an internal page, which is related to the subject matter.
- Internal link, mis-directed.
- There are links to related subject within the website. The mis-directed link is caused by shuffling the text without properly resetting the link. Contact the website if the link doesn't make sense.
- Jumping screen.
This is normal when the browser is loading the images. The loading time can be minimized by keeping the page in the temporary internet files folder. However, the "offline" page may become out-of-date if the retention period is too long.
Navigation through the webpages can start from a variety of entry points:
- Topics in the Home Page.
- Table of Contents.
- "Index, Illustration, Reference, and Photo Credit" page at the end of the main menu.
- List of Illustrations, via the ">>>" sign.
- Table 01-01 (the Cosmic Table) at the end of the Introduction.
- Contents or Index within each Topic.
- Centralized control is available through the taskbar at the top of each topic page.
- It is always advisable to return to the previous page with the "Back" button (the left arrow on the toolbar) provided by the browser. Such practice will avoid excessive webpage stacking, which may sometimes cause problems.
- Page NOT FOUND.
Error may be caused by:
- Filename starts with small letter instead of capital letter, e.g., "f" or "r" instead of "F" or "R".
- Typo, such as entering "." instead of "-" etc. Contact the website if none of the above is applicable.
- Text alignment/mis-alignment.
- The text beside the image(s) is aligned according to its appearance on a 16" monitor running the IE browser with medium text size. The text may not align properly in other viewing enviornment. Hopefully, it does not impact readability too much. Contact the website if it is totally out of place.
- Starting from 2010, the text is aligned according to its appearance on a 15" Sony Vaio laptop (zoomed to 167%, revised to 125% on January 1, 2014) as the old one became obsolete. Hopefully it would not generate more confusion as it already has. My apology to all viewers for the un-professional look of the webpages.
- Once again on October 2018, the page appearance is changed to suit the Google browser with 150% zoom on a 15" hp laptop. It may look weird on other format/screen, my apology for the un-professional look.
- Typo, grammatical and other errors.
- While care is taken to minimize errors in the contents, mistakes are inevitable. Contact the website for any error or omission.
- Unfortunately, the "Contact" facility has to be terminated (as of July 18, 2017) due to untoward activities by some users. The error statistics is also closed by the ISP for the same reason (and thus deprives a way to check out the typo in filename).
- The "Contact" has been re-activated on Christmas Day 2018 by providing an email address : Ureview@bell.net